Welcome to the all new (and not so new) Magnetic Scrolls Memorial!
After procrastinating for a very long time about modernizing the Memorial pages - say getting rid of the almost 20 years old mess of Dreamweaver template code, HTML inline formatting and
horrible table cascades - I finally got around to rewriting the pages.
To the long term visitors much of the "new" Memorial
will look familiar. So at first sight you might wonder, what took me so long. But while the overall site structure has only slightly changed and of course the content was preserved, every single page
was rewritten by hand (almost 100 pages). The first thought was to rebuild the pages with a CMS - and there are some pretty cool CMS out there.
However, the Memorial uses quite a bunch of different page layouts which had to be rebuilt with the CMS and after it took me so long to get rid of the Dreamweaver leftovers I was really loath to
surrender to the next system. Eventually I decided to go without a
CMS and code by hand (and the help of a great free framework called Groundwork CSS
). The design of the site surely ever was and still is quite colourful and not in line with mainstream designs, but it is an oldskool page about
oldskool stuff. Using a slick buisness design just did not feel right to me. So here it is...
But there is even more: The pages should be fully responsive now. The fonts should better adapt to the different devices, so general readability should be better. Many, many things were fixed and many
minor or major additions are scattered all over the site.
Hope, you enjoy the new Memorial pages. Please let me know if you encounter problems. Surely there are things to be fixed in the weeks to come, but now
that the site is in a maintanable state again, fixing problems and adding new materials should be much easier than before.
Small note to Magnetic Scripts users: Unfortunatley the mail activation routine for the server repository accounts had a nasty bug which prevented the
activation under certain conditions. Sorry for the trouble. I didn't know about the problem until today. If you tried to register for a save game repository and were not able
to complete the activation with the activation mail, please register and activate once more. I hope, it is fixed now!
A real update to the site and Magnetic Scripts will follow soon. Stay tuned.
Real life has interfered, so the next major update of Magnetic Scripts will have to wait some more time. But just in case you have no idea what to do with all the free
time over the winter holidays, I decided to push at least a small update to Magnetic Scripts, that fixes some of the bugs found so far:
- Fixed max allowed same game number (now 100).
- Myth hints fixed plus lot of minor fixes
- And even some minimal enhancements: New loader screen, optimized "more" tablet handling, tested against ios9 Safari and MS Edge browser
A real update with some new features will follow next year. Stay tuned.
This update brings to your enjoyment...
Several new adventure guides. As I finally got my grips onto a french package there is also the first adventure guide in french language included.
The german and french game packages included translations or summaries of game manuals in the respective language. Added the german and french manuals for Jinxter,
and the german manual for The Guild of Thieves.
The following update will most probably focus on the next version of Magnetic Scripts... my todo list grew up to 50 entries, so it seems it gets time to work on it.
Besides I will start with some under the hood work on the pages (e.g. getting rid of the Dreamweaver chains from the past and cleaning up the huge CSS/non-CSS mess).
This might lead to some inconsistencies in the layout and appearance from time to time, but I plan to work steadily on it instead of the big overhaul that never gets finished.
This update only brings a bunch of smaller additions and fixes:
- Added version numbers for the PCW releases of The Pawn, The Guild of Thieves and Jinxter.
- The fact sheet was complemeted accordingly, together with some other minor additions.
- Link to Anita Sinclair's profile page at the British Bridge Union.
- The direct play button on the game pages link to Magnetic Scripts now.
- Cleaned up the links section and added a couple of new links (that should have been added long ago)
- Added a handful of solutions, taken from scans by Howard Feldman from mocagh.org with kind permission.
30th anniversary of The Pawn
In 1985 the era of Magnetic Scrolls began with the release of QL-Pawn. To celebrate the anniversary this update adds two new
opportunities to dive into the worlds of Magnetic Scrolls:
and has almost all features of the native Magnetic versions. Some highlights:
- Saving an restoring games is supported. With most of the current browsers you even get a persistent storage, so your save games are stored across game sessions.
- Save game files from Magnetic Scripts can be used with native interpreters.
- Optional save game storage on the Magnetic Scrolls Memorial server. Sync your save games across different clients.
- Supports HTML Fullscreen mode.
- Pictures and music are supported. On desktop machines, the Wonderland music is real Midi playback. Pictures can be scaled at runtime.
- Integrated hint system based on the original hints from the manuals.
- The classic games support both the Amiga 16bit graphics and the C64 8bit graphics.
notes and configuration hints. Click the Magnetic Scripts logo to get started now!
Note: The QL-Pawn demo requires a recent and especially a fast browser. Please read the demo notes!